.

8.31.2011

Bee Healthy

Bee Fellas! What’s up?

We are just about to begin September and I want to introduce this month with an entry that describes a worldwide known bee’s product:

HONEY!! :]

Yes, I know this sweet and marvelous thing makes our toasts and hot cakes taste like heaven, but the usages and properties of bee honey go much deeper than that. I can almost hear that fitness querulous public claiming that this wonder is nothing but sugar and calories that feed our love handles. Take a look to what I have to say and then you can say anything.

Let’s go back many years … Greeks, Romans, Egyptians and Chinese people are using honey as a bacteria killer, a disinfectant, a remedy for colds and poisoning, a direct energy boost for athletes, a … popular drug and as treatment for burns and surgeries recoveries? Will bees stop surprising us sometime?

If you want to know why this sweet sensation is so useful, you need to know how it is made! Our lil’ workaholics keep recollecting pollen and nectar from flowers and after a series of digestive and chemical procedures, a bumblebee saves a honey charge on a honeycomb cell. During this process, a cocktail of enzymes and oils are mixed up, and precisely those provide the honey with such healing powers. If that was not surprising enough, let me tell you another fact about honey: it never spoils! While managing the nectar, bees extract most of the contained water … and you know, bacteria and viruses can’t spread and therefore the wonder remains untouched (A brand new and natural preservative!!).

So what you think? We have just added chemist, doctor and food engineer to our list of the marvelous profession of bees. That gives me an idea! I will post that list right on the side bar, and I’ll update it as we discover more and more roles that bees perform.

I personally remember my child days when my throat sored and my voice disappeared. It was then that my mom used to give me honey with lemon to fix it up! Have any of you used honey as a natural remedy? Comment!

Have a nice week! And try some honey… that’s you fitness obsessed guy or girl!

PS. Susana de Leon is the official winner of the Bee Challenge!! She will be receiving the price during the following weeks. For you to know, I will be giving another price, so you still have the chance! By the way, if you want to read something about honey healing properties, follow this link (I found MOST of the data I presented there! MLA is a mere formality):

"HEALTH : Honeys Claims to Fame: Too Good to be True?" The Statesman: 1. ProQuest Research Library. Jan 19 2002. Web. 31 Aug. 2011 <http://search.proquest.com/docview/284105825?accountid=11643>.

2 comments:

  1. Danyel! Really, I loved your site! The design, the content… everything (: The topic about bees is amazing and has a good future because, with the help of this blog, you can show the audience the multiple advantages of having these little insects in our environment: they help to pollinate flowering plants, to prepare honey (that can be consumed by the human being), and sometimes these insects are also used in acupuncture. That’s why it is very important to preserve them… how? Simple, respecting their life (: because bees are making us the favor to do several natural activities that the human is not able to do. With your blog, I remembered a quote that I have seen several weeks ago that says: “If the bee disappears from the surface of the earth, man would have no more than four years to live. No more bees, no more pollination … no more men!”. That’s what Albert Einstein said when he was alive ;) I started to think a lot after reading this quote because, with my imagination, I became able to apply that in a future and I’ve noticed that effectively… Albert Einstein is right! Bees are very important in our life and in our world. Well, that’s everything that I have to say (: Congratulations! I really admire your job and I can see a great future for this blog. Btw… thank you for visiting my blog too ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS A COMMENT FROM : CARO MARTINEZ (POSTED BY ME BECAUSE OF TECHNICAL PROBLEMS)

    Hi Danyel (: this post was very interesting! It surprised me with things I did not know before; it is amazing to know all those properties of honey and how bees work to produce it. It was something I used to consider as a simple process, but now, considering what bees do as insects and what their honey do, I see that honey production is a natural miracle. I did not know that honey was discovered and used like a thousand years ago, and all those uses of honey are so nice and interesting. I think the best of course is sweetening the pancakes :P, but to use honey as a bacteria killer, an energy boost and a treatment for burns is really clever and creative. So honey is an example of a natural wonder, and it is so good that we humans through history have known how to use it, well I just used it for the pancakes, but now you post has motivated me to take more advantage of it; I can use it as an energy boost when I exercise. I also used honey for the sore throat when I was a child, and I still use it today like that. I liked all the professions of bees you presented; bees live in a society of tireless workers who do their job always in the best way they can and without a bit of laziness, which can teach us humans several lessons. It is so cool that bees can be mathematicians, architects and doctors! Maybe other bee roles can be warriors, and the queen which is the ruler and continues the specie. Danyel, I like your blog very much, it is not only attractive to the eyes, but also attractive to our curiosity, and I also think that your attitude toward you blog is what has attracted so many people to it, you like posting on it and that reflects on how interesting your articles are! (;

    ReplyDelete