.

9.15.2011

Bee the Queen!

Hello fellas! How are you? I just finished my partials week and man, it was tough! What about you?

Today we will honor the royalty from a hive! (You know already don’t you?) Yes, I’m talking about your highest, the Bee Queen. She is the boss of every single worker bee, and their mother also (sounds familiar?). We are talking about a familiar size mother, literally! A bee queen has an abdomen of about three times liger that the one of a normal bee, and with it takes the dutty of produce every single egg that will later turn into a larvae and later one of our beloved workaholics.

With the use of some pheromones, this is, smelly chemicals, she rules the entire hive without any chance of insubordination. She has a whole chamber just for her and some maidens which take care of their ALWAYS loved queen doing tasks such as feeding or even moving. Smells kinda good don’t you think?

And you might be wondering, where is the king?! Well, the fact is that this virago girl only goes out of the hive once in her whole life. That’s it! To look out for some drone boyfriends. After having some fun with drones for about a week, a queen is ready to come back and found her new empire turning herself into a babies producing machine. She will hold her crown for the amazing time of about 7 years! Then she would be almost a granny, so she orders her maidens to raise a new queen. This is done only by feeding a larvae with special food called royal jam. After feeding it with this jam, the larvae would later become a new queen rather than a worker, continuing therefore the kingdom.

Sounds like fun don’t you think? Comment about it!

See you my bee lovers!

PS. I deliver already one of my special prices, and on Monday I will deliver the second one :]

2 comments:

  1. Hey! This is actually pretty interesting :) The topic of your blog, in general, is a really cool idea and I think it’s useful, or at least entertaining, to learn more about bees, hives, honey... For example with this entry, I learned some things I didn’t know about the queen bees. I guess I only knew the basic stuff. But it’s really interesting, and let me say that your way of writing about it makes it fun and easy to read. It doesn’t sound boring at all (like sometimes happen with science books). And it actually does sound fun to be a queen bee and to have everyone obeying you and working for you, haha. But well, I just wanted to tell you it’s a great blog and I’ll keep checking it out :) Oh, and one more thing… are there only these two types of bees (like, the queen bee and the worker bees) or is a hive divided in other groups or types of bees? Honestly, I just realize I don’t really know a thing about bees. Thinking about them makes me think about Winnie Pooh or something, not really any scientific facts. Well, I do remember a girl told us her extended essay was about the properties of honey and its great benefits, and I’ve heard it’s good for some diseases, but that’s all. Hopefully I will learn more with your blog; keep up the good job! And I invite you to visit my blog :) It’s about coffee (I don’t know if you drink coffee or not) but still you might find some interesting information ^^.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    I liked your blog, I think it is funny and you have an interesting topic. About what you have written I have to say that I actually learned, I knew something about these bee queens but I also learned that they are literally bees' mom and they are the biggest and the leader of all the others. I would like to know more about this theme, I don't think people have to be afraid of bees they just do what they have to.

    ReplyDelete